Funding Assistance

General Caring and Aged Care Funding Assistance: Australia-Wide

Home Care Packages (HCP)

Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessments

This is a first port of call to establish eligibility to receive federal government subsidised aged care services through “My Aged Care”. The ACAT team will visit your home or hospital and guide you through a series of questions to find out how well you are managing at home and what kinds of help or services you might need. Once the assessment is made, you will be informed of the type and level of funding you can receive, dependent on your needs.

The new HCP program through the federal government’s government’s “My Aged Care” encourages the use of innovative care through digital technologies at any funding level. Section 4 of the guidelines now specify the use of telecare and telehealth solutions such as mCareWatch’s SMW ‘Soteria’ and the ConnectiveCARE platform. That means if you are eligible for HCP package assistance, you may be eligible for funding assistance for your mCareWatch device.

Specifically, the guidelines state: “Where safe, effective and clinically appropriate, home care providers are encouraged to use innovative and digital delivery options to provide services to consumers. This could include the use of telehealth, video conferencing and digital technology, such as remote monitoring and other assistive technology.”

Commonwealth Home Support Programme

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) helps you stay independent and in your home and community for longer. Check in with the site below for more information about assistance you may be eligible to receive.

Your state government may also be able to assist, including via federal funding through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Family & Community Services (NSW)

Department of Human Services (VIC)

Dementia Assistance Funding & Aged Care Support 

For a summary of some available funding support in addition to the organisations above, visit


An accessible, community oriented support centre run by Alzheimer’s Australia that invites comments and interaction from a caring group of users. Includes links to the latest in research, events, shared stories from real life carers and those living with dementia and good quality fact sheets.

Sample content: How I chose the right home for my husbandis one of many moving real-life stories laden with practical tips shared by participants in this online community.

National service. For phone support call the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500 or 1800 639 331.

Dementia Behaviour Management Advisory Sources is an Australian government resource. It is a good access point to find services and support, from assessment and diagnosis through to referral to other services and more. It contains useful information and practical tips for family carers and well as care workers. There are some eligibility requirements for certain services but information is free.

Sample content: the dbmas 12 top tips in caring for a person with dementiaoffers useful guidance not just on “what to do” but “how to do it” – how to move, speak and use your body language in a way that can help your interactions with people with dementia be calm, respectful and productive. This is also a useful resource for visitors or family members who are only just getting used to your loved one’s condition.

National service. 24-hour helpline 1800 699 799

The official federal government website outlining the various options for support for older Australians and their carers and a starting point for gaining access to those services. It describes the types of services available, from home care, transitioning from hospital to respite care and moving into residential aged care, information about estimated aged care fees and eligibility and access requirements. It also includes information about caring and case studies.

Sample content: a useful summary of the different kinds of home care available.

National service. Call 1800 200 422 Mon -Fri 8am – 8pm; Sat 10am-2pm

Council on the Ageing

Australia’s peak independent advocacy group supporting the interests and wellbeing of older Australians at both community and government / policy level. As well as the national organisation, there are COTA branches in each state which offer location-specific information. Both national and state-specific COTA websites are good starting points for accessing information about issues affecting older Australians.

Sample content: find out how you can get involved, share experiences or follow through on ideas to make a positive difference for older Australians.

National service with state-specific organisations. Contact the COTA national organisation on 02 6154 9740

National Disability Insurance Scheme

The National Disability Insurance Scheme is the new way of providing individualised support for eligible people with permanent and significant disability, their families and carers. If you are a person with disability who wishes to participate in the NDIS, you must first be assessed against the access requirements.

mCareWatch is an approved and authorised NDIS Provider

The mCareWatch provider registration number is 4050006555

mCareWatch is approved to provide support for the following categories:

Personal Mobility Equipment

Assistive Prod – Household Task

Assist Prod- Pers Care/Safety

For enquiries, visit or call 1800 800 110.

Disability Assistance Funding


The Australian Government’s Employment Assistance Fund (EAF) provides financial assistance to a person with disability or their employer for workplace modifications, equipment and services they require as a result of their disability and are necessary for them to be able to perform their employment duties. You may be eligible to receive funding for your mCareWatch SMW16 ‘Soteria’ under this program.

For more information, phone 1800 646 800 or visit the JobAccess website

Independent Living Centres

Information about products and services to help people remain independent and improve their quality of life. This is a high quality collection of some of the latest and most popular assistive technology for people living with dementia, disabilities and their carers. Independent Living Centres in each state (except NT) offer a wide range of other services and support. The Community Services section includes many useful links: for Seniors; for Youth/Children; for the National Disability Insurance Scheme and more.

Sample content: about assistive technology and the many devices and equipment you can use to make home healthcare safer and easier.

National service. As well as the website you can visit Independent Living Centres in each state (except NT) or call the Independent Living Centres Advisory Service on 1300 885 886.

State-Based Funding Assistance


Queensland Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS)

Subsidy funding for medical aids and equipment is available to eligible Queenslanders with permanent/stable conditions or disabilities. Aids and equipment are subsidy funded either on a permanent loan basis, private ownership or through the supply of consumables.


If you’ve been injured at work, or because of your work, you may be eligible to claim benefits from WorkCover Queensland to fund rehabilitation equipment or services needed to recover, such as an mCareWatch medical alarm.

For more information, phone 1300 362 128 or visit the WorkCover website



icare may fund the mCare device for suitable participants and would usually be assessed by an occupational therapist. Speak to your icare contact person for more information if you think the mCare device could help you or your family member.

Tel: 1300 738 586

South Australia

Personal Alert Systems Rebate Scheme SA

RDNS Alarms 1 Richmond Road, Keswick SA 5035

T: 1300 854 365.

For eligibility information on the rebate scheme visit the Personal alert systems rebate website

Western Australia

Grant Funding For Individuals

The Independent Living Centre manages two grant programs for individuals with disabilities. These are the Disability Equipment Grant (DEG) and the Equipment For Living Grant (EFL). Both grants have different eligibility and types of equipment/assistive technology they fund. Forms are regularly updated so please refer to the website for the latest versions.

Disability Equipment Grants Program (DEG)

The Disability Equipment Grant (DEG) Program aims to assist eligible Western Australians with permanent disabilities obtain specific items of equipment and/or subsidies unavailable through other funding. This program is income assessed.

Grants for Assistive Technology/Equipment

Items considered for funding include vehicle modifications, specialised assistive technology for people with sensory, communication or physical impairments, air conditioners and other essential independence equipment.

For more information and to download the application forms please visit the Disability Equipment Grants (DEG) page.

Equipment for Living Grants (EFL)

The Independent Living Centre of WA is pleased to announce we have received additional grant funding from the Disability Services Commission to continue the Equipment for Living (EFL) grants program until June 2017. Please refer to the new grant forms as there have been some changes.

Equipment for Living Grants (EFL) are available to assist eligible people to obtain vital equipment not currently available through the CAEP or other support programs. The grants will provide essential items that enable individuals with disabilities to have increased participation within their homes and communities. The maximum individual grant is $5,000. Please refer to the application form for eligibility criteria.

For further information and to download the EFL application form visit:



You may also be eligible for assistance via the federal government’s Helping Children with Autism package. The funding is to help provide services to children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs).

How do families contact an Autism Advisor?

The Autism Advisors can be contacted through the state associations listed below:

Tel: 1300 978 611

Known as Aspect, Autism Spectrum Australia provides information and links to support services, educational and enrichment programs and some of the latest research into autism spectrum disorders. Its focus spans pre-schoolers through to those aged over 18, with specific information to support each age and stage, including information about assessment and early intervention programs.

Sample content: Aspect’s Positive Behaviour Support services and programs bring together a team of experts to help people with autism develop skills that will help improve their quality of life, social skills and ability to enjoy and participate in their community.

Locations in NSW, ACT and Victoria.

Autism Awareness is an Australian autism education and advocacy service that delivers information about the condition itself along with a range of programs and services – many free of charge – designed to empower and support people with autism and their families. It spans crucial information from diagnosis through treatment to new research, news and events.

Sample content: a comprehensive resources section shows where you can find out more, online and elsewhere, including educational resources and other useful information.

National service. Call 1300 900 681

Tel: 03 9657 1600

Amaze is the peak body for people with autism and their families in Victoria, however contains a lot of information that is relevant and useful to all Australians with autism and their carers.

Sample content: a useful digest of contact details for the key autism organisations in each state, and some overseas organisations.

Victoria-based. Information line 1300 308 699

Tel: 08 9489 8900

Tel: 1800 428 847

Tel 02 6176 0514

Tel 08 8948 4424

Tel: 03 6231 2745

Tel: 1300 288 476

Carer support

The national advocacy and support body for carers. The website offers a useful digest of information and resources to support carers including links to government support along with its own initiatives and programs. It also offers useful information about carers and the NDIS. You can link through the site to the Carer’s Association in your State or territory for location-specific information.

Sample content: a roundup of Australian carer statistics that throws the spotlight on the huge scale of caring in this country.

National service with separate state-specific associations. For phone support call 1800 242 636

The official Australian government online and phone support site for carers, linking you directly with local support agencies nationally. It includes a guided search section that can help you navigate the caring maze if you’re just starting out, plus advice and information about caring for yourself. There is also a sensitive but practical section about planning for the end of life.

Sample content: an explanation of respite care, its importance – and how to access it.

National service. For phone support call 1800 422 737, 8am-6pm, Mon-Fri.

If you are looking for a carer or support worker, this is a great place to start. It is a directory of care workers of all kinds, from companions to personal care, nursing, someone to help with shopping and cooking and lots more. in locations throughout Australia. Use the easy search function by suburb or postcode to help find the help you’re looking for. Its resources section contains useful practical information.

Sample content: the rating system and descriptions offered by the different carers listed on the site.

Family Violence

1800RESPECT is a 24-hour national counselling hotline to support people experiencing sexual assault, domestic or family violence. As well as counselling it offers practical information and advice about staying safe, accessing support networks and more. It also contains sections for family and friends and workers and professionals.

Sample content: a step-by-step guide to safety planning.

In Victoria, please contact:

EDVOS Tel: 03 9259 4200

Safe Steps  Tel: 1800 015 188

Women’s Health West  Tel: 03 9689 9588

National service, phone counselling 1800 737 732, 24 hours a day.